Friday, December 18, 2009

Golden Globes Part 2

Best Picture, Drama
Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
Up in the Air

While I loved Inglourious Basterds I have a feeling Up in the Air is going to take best drama. It’s won almost every best picture award so far and I have a feeling it’s going to win the Oscar too.

Best Picture, Musical/Comedy
500 Days of Summer
The Hangover
It’s Complicated
Julie & Julia
Nine

I would love to see 500 Days of Summer win this because it wasn’t very well known and a Golden Globe win would certainly help that but I think Julie & Julia may take it. Although Nine certainly could win I don’t think it will since it’s been getting mixed reviews I saying no.

Best Actor, Drama
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
George Clooney, Up in the Air
Colin Firth, A Single Man
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
Tobey Maguire, Brothers

This is a tight race between Colin Firth and George Clooney but I’m thinking Clooney will win. His performance in Up in the Air has been called the performance of his career. As far as who I would like to see win I’d say any of them. I like each nominee and would love to see any of them accepting the best actor award.

Best Actress, Drama
Emily Blunt, The Young Victoria
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabourey Sidibe, Precious

I’d really like to see Emily Blunt win because I like her but I’ve heard great things about Carey Mulligan’s performance in An Education is the one to beat in this category.

Best Actor, Musical/Comedy
Matt Damon, The Informant!
Daniel Day-Lewis, Nine
Robert Downey, Jr., Sherlock Holmes
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, 500 Days of Summer
Michael Stuhlbarg, A Serious Man

I’d really like to see Matt Damon or Joseph Gordon-Levitt win this but does anyone ever really win against Daniel Day-Lewis? He’s one of the best!

Best Actress, Musical/Comedy
Sandra Bullock, The Proposal
Marion Cotillard, Nine
Julia Roberts, Duplicity
Meryl Streep, It’s Complicated
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

Meryl is like DDL…she is a legend. She’s also who I would like to see win.

Best Supporting Actor
Matt Damon, Invictus
Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Christopher Plummer, The Last Station
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

This is probably the easiest category to pick. Waltz is the favorite for it and I think he’ll win. He was by far the best part of Basterds and I don’t see anyone else beating him. He’s also who I would like to see win.

Best Supporting Actress
Penelope Cruz, Nine
Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
Mo’Nique, Precious
Julianne Moore, A Single Man

While Mo’Nique has been getting a lot of buzz for Precious she has basically refused to promote it and when it comes to awards you need to work for it. There have been plenty of years where someone hasn’t won who deserved to because another actor has worked the votes more (and even paid for it). I’d really like to see Anna Kendrick win but I think it may go to Penelope. Could she win back to back Supporting Actress Oscars too?

Best Director
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
James Cameron, Avatar
Clint Eastwood, Invictus
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Eastwood is a Hollywood favorite but with the buzz around Up in the Air I think Reitman will take this. Since I was such a huge Inglourious Basterds fan I’d like to see Quentin Tarantino win.

Best Screenplay
District 9
The Hurt Locker
It’s Complicated
Inglourious Basterds
Up in the Air

Again I’d like to see Basterds win but I think it’s Up in the Air’s year.
Best Score Up The Informant! Avatar A Single Man Where the Wild Things Are
I just loved everything about Up so I decided to go with it for Best Score since I haven’t seen any of the other movies.

Best Song
“Cinema Italiano,” Nine
“I Want to Come Home,” Everybody’s Fine
“I Will See You,” Avatar
“The Weary Kind,” Crazy Heart
“Winter,” Brothers

While most award shows love musicals I’ve heard Kate Hudson’s character is one of the weakest in Nine so a song written for her character may not be that memorable. Besides how could they not award Paul McCartney…he’s a Beatle!


Best Animated Film
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess & The Frog
Up

This will come down to Up and Fantastic Mr. Fox. I’d be happy with either winning but I think Up will pull ahead.

Best Foreign Language Film
Baria
Broken Embraces
The Maid A Prophet
The White Ribbon

I haven’t seen any of these but I’ve heard a lot of praise for Broken Embraces so that’s my choice.


How about everyone else? Do you agree with my predictions? Are surprised by any nominations and who do you feel should of been nominated?

1 comment:

  1. Of coarse I agree with you. You know more about movies than I do! :)

    ReplyDelete